Monday 19 August 2024

That Aspie Label And How I Feel About It

When I first became part of the autistic community many of us identified with the label Aspergers Syndrome, and called ourselves ‘Aspies’. So much so that when the Powers That Be decided to delete it as a separate diagnosis many of us protested this. Gradually however most of us began to understand why it was no longer a viable diagnosis, and later still, many autistic advocates became vehemently opposed to the use of it.

My personal feeling is to no longer use it for myself. There are three main reasons for this.

1) The history around Hans Asperger. I haven’t been able to find out definitively whether he was an outright Nazi, a more-or-less reluctant collaborator, or just trying to save as many as he could from the Nazi ‘final solution’. He must, at the very least, have known what the Nazis were doing to the more obviously disabled, but how much could he have prevented this? How many could he have saved, how many did he save? I admit, I haven’t done much research for myself and opinion seems to be divided, even amongst autistics. But whatever the truth, he’s a controversial figure, and I’d rather stay away from any label that identifies me with him.

2) The whole ‘Aspie Supremacy’ thing. Basically, there is a subset of ‘Aspies’ who believe that Aspies are superior not just to other autistics, but to the rest of humanity. They tend to hide themselves away in small, closed groups online, and not come out to play much, but their underlying philosophy is still present. I can understand their fear of being associated with the most powerless, abused and degraded amongst us, but they are not doing anyone any favours with their elitist attitude.

3) (The most important reason) There really, really AREN’T any big differences between those who used to/still do label themselves ‘aspie’ and the so-called ‘real autistics’. It’s simply a way for the ‘experts’ and ‘martyr mommy’ types to divide and conquer. To excuse, on the one hand, their treatment of the more ‘obviously disabled’ among us, while wielding a stick over the rest of us autistics - ‘don’t group yourselves with them, or we’ll treat you like we do them’. But truthfully, attempts to find a clear difference have all floundered in the face of the complexities of autistic presentation, and our ability to progress and change, even when people don’t think we can. There isn’t a truly clear line between ‘severe’ and ‘mild’ autism. All the criteria basically amount to ‘how well can you mask and present as “normal”?’

So there’s that. HOWEVER – and it’s a big HOWEVER – I refuse to criticise, reject, put down, exclude or otherwise attack anyone who DOES still describe themselves as ‘Aspie’. They may have multiple, and perfectly valid, reasons for this. And frankly those reasons, or what labels they use are none of my business. (I’ve also noticed that some tend to go back and forth between the two terms, even when describing themselves.) I’ll tell anyone who asks why I don’t use the terms, but I won’t insist on them following my lead. To be honest, I think those pesky ‘functioning’ labels are a far bigger problem, as they can do real harm.

A big part of my adopting this approach has been my move away from the more strident autistic activists, the nit-picking purists who seem to have no tolerance for anyone who doesn’t follow what they have decided is The Only And Perfect Way to be autistic, and who will vehemently attack anyone they decide is The Enemy based on this True Way. I’ve encountered people like this before in various social movements, and find them tiring. ‘Drama queens’ is yet another good description of them, as they seem to relish the attacks and the consequent drama. I always end up dropping away from them.

Moreover, I’ve seen the results of their attitude. For instance, I’ve seen them attack one activist who refused to stop using the term aspie. Their attack was so vicious and prolonged that the activist in question eventually left the autistic community altogether… and eventually joined forces with an autistic organisation in their own country with a very dubious record – not quite A$, but not far off it. So they literally drove an otherwise good autistic activist into the arms of the opposition. Literally.

So no, I have chosen for myself, but I refuse to criticise anyone else for their choice. Because it is THEIR choice. And that’s good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment